Budget and fee chargingstudy places: The studies at the Latvian Academy of Culture may be funded from the national budget of the Republic of Latvia in the tender procedure, if the international applicant is a citizen of the EU, EEC, Swiss Confederation citizenor a permanent resident of the EU, provided that the applicant’s knowledge of the Latvian language corresponds to the CEFR level A2 (for further information please see:http://visc.gov.lv/en/). Otherwise the applicant is entitled only to the fee charging study places.
Full-time studies: 4 years (8 semesters)
Received degree: Bachelor of Arts
Language of Tuition: Latvian
The goal of this subprogramme is to provide practical knowledge about cultural processes, Latvian culture, the English language, modern cultural tendencies, USA and Great Britain relations history, modern-day problems, cultural inquiries, and Latvia’s citizens’ national identity.
This program displays a theoretical and practical balance. In studies of intercultural relations between Latvia and Great Britain, students will learn about their cultural identity and understand different cultures.
Every semester activities are conducted in both English and Latvian (look at Study Courses). Some subjects, such as ”Country studies”, involve various different topics: history, literature, culture and society, British identity, American identity, Keltic studies, etc.
In the first two years of studying this major, students will also learn the Swedish language, which will widen opportunities in the work force.
Graduates from this major work in embassies, international organizations, national firms, private firms, and translation and tourism companies. Graduates will have a high level of English language understanding and skills that will allow them to communicate with others in many situations, spread and popularize Latvian culture in other countries, deal with international matters, and preserving Latvian culture.
The Latvia-Great Britain major acceps students with advanced skills in the English language!
- Introduction to the Theory of Culture
- Semiotics of Culture
- The History of Philosophy
- Western Philosophy of the 20th Century
- The History and Theory of World Art
- The Trends of W-European Art in the 20th Century
- The History of World Literature
- The History and Theory of World Music
- The History and Theory of World Theatre
- Background Studies: UK
- Intercultural Relations Latvia-Britain within European Context
- Text Interpretation: English
- English Communicative Grammar and Conversation
- History of the English Language and Developmental Tendencies
- Business English
- English: Language and Style
- Psychoanalysis and Culture
- History of Latvian Art
- The History of Latvian Literature
- The History of Latvia:Sources and Historiography
- The Theory of Literature
- Introduction to Research
- Introduction to the Theory of Intercultural Communication
- Introduction to the Management of Culture
- Second Foreign Language (Spanish, Italian, French etc.)
- Basics of Stage Speech
The Academy takes into account the scores of several examinations:
- The applicant takes the English foreign language examination at the Latvian Academy of Culture during the entrance examinations.
- The mark(s) in the first language and literature is/are registered based on the Secondary Education Certificate’s Academic Transcript.
- Essay about a literary theme, that displays a creative reflection about the given theme, displays a balance between facts and opinions, displays the ability to argue and stand up for the student’s beliefs, and displays the ability to answer questions regarding classic and modern day cultural questions.